Dealership managers, you know that your attendance at NADA Show 2019 is critical to your career and growth in the industry. Now it's time to let your boss know as well.
Successful dealers and managers attend NADA Show, which is why you should be there as well. Network and learn from hundreds of key players in the auto industry, as well as vendors, manufacturers and expert speakers, all in one place. In a few simple steps,
we’ll show you how to demonstrate the benefits of the Show in order for you to get approval from your dealer or supervisor to attend.
|Research. Look through the events schedule,
workshop sessions and exhibitor listings. Be sure to stress to decision makers the number of educational opportunities, and innovative products and services available from more than 500 industry exhibitors.
|Calculate the expenses. Add up the costs
of registration, hotel, flight, food and local travel, but be sure to factor in all of the discounts, such as early bird registration, low-cost NADA hotel options and NADA ground- and air travel discounts, and point these out to your supervisor.
Present the Return on Investment. Create a sound
business case to justify your participation. Illustrate specifically what the dealership will receive in return for its investment. For example, you could bring back ideas to increase productivity and profitability, or find ways to solve
key issues at your dealership. You could also get one-on-one feedback—from exhibitors and other attendees—about new products and services for the dealership. Show your boss the details on workshops, franchise meetings, the Expo floor,
networking events and more, and how they will directly benefit both you and your dealership.
Go in for the Pitch. You can use the letter
we’ve outlined for you (download it here) or make your request verbally. Remember to focus on all the
positive benefits—practical training, discounted rates/travel and limited time away from work.
What if your supervisor says...
1. “I can’t have you gone for so long.” This year’s NADA Show runs from Thursday-Sunday. Reassure your supervisor that you’ll have your cell phone with you the entire time and, if there’s a problem, you’ll step away. Work comes first,
and you’ll of course have access to complimentary WiFi within the Moscone Center should you need to connect with your dealership.
2. “There is no room in the budget for this year.” Good thing you are asking early, because the Show is not until January 2019. Perhaps you can front the cost now and get reimbursed in the new year? Your hotel room charges won’t come
through until you’ve checked out on the last day of NADA Show 2019.
3. “Let’s talk about this in a couple months.” You can agree to this, but stress that the registration fee will go up after Sept. 14 (early bird pricing deadline), and that you will want to save as much money as possible by registering
Once you've attended the NADA Show and find that it was everything you imagined and more, what happens next?
1. Transfer notes. There is a good chance you’ve got copious notes from your time at the NADA Show. Transfer them someplace where they’re all together, easily accessible and shareable.
2. Clarify primary takeaways. You may have been overwhelmed by the abundance of important information from workshops, general sessions and networking with your peers. Take some time to write down your primary takeaways and action items
on which you'd like to follow up.
3. Check social media. Go to Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and search the #NADASHOW hashtag. Perform an “audit” by favoriting or copying/pasting social posts and moments that inspired you the most, which you can also share with your
boss and colleagues.
4. Share it. Commit to a post-convention briefing for senior management and your team, where you’ll highlight what you’ve learned from the conference. Tie in what you’ve learned to your dealership’s specific challenges, goals and strategic
5. Strengthen relationships. You probably made quite a few new contacts that can be added to your network. Share ideas and solve issues together after you return home. Email, call and add them to your professional network.
6. Continue shopping the Expo floor. Just because the show is over doesn’t mean the savings have to be. The 2019 Expo is available all year by visiting the website and looking for the "Continue Shopping the Expo Floor" link.